Monday, 27 April 2009

2 weeks wasted because someone cant take 5 mins to read an email!?

Grrr! Why are some people soooo unhelpful!!

For the last 2 weeks, me and my co-worker have been looking into a bug that our customers found. We traced the bug all the way into some low-level code that we arent allowed to touch, and is the biggest heap of hacked up-confusing-ridiculous-uncommented-spaghetti code you'l ever see!!

So we phoned and emailed the ppl in charge of this code on many occasions, and kept getting told that they are either a)too busy b)dont know enough about our customers code or c) this isnt their code thats the problem. They never even took the time to read what the problem was. Soooo unhelpful and annoying!!!

But anyway, I had no choice but to carry on into the over-grown jungle of code, armed with nothing but System.out.println (it was one of those bugs that worked everytime you stepped through it). And finally (oh happy happy times), I found the problem. And, surprise surprise, it was in "their" code.

I cant tell you how happy i felt writing yet another email with proof that it was in fact their problem. And yes, I had to do it over email because these unhelful ppl stopped picking up their phone.

Soooo, 3 hours after writing them this glorious email, I get a reply. Now, Im not one to get pissed off easily (well, not too easily :) ), but after reading this email, i turned off my pc and left the building. Which, I admit, would have been a lot more impressive if it wasnt already 15 minutes after my home time, but still. The reply I got, was saying that this was a known about issue, and that this guy has been looking into a similar problem, and that we would jsut have to tell our customer this cant be fixed!!!!!!!!

AHHHHH!!!! If they knew about this problem, they could have told us about it 2 weeks ago!!! And, it wasnt even an old issue that they may have forgotten about, nooooo! He was currently working on a similar thing!!!!! And, their answer is that it jsut cant be fixed!!!!

(breath in, breath out)

Right, there's my ranting done. At least now it really is no longer up to me to do something about it. This little bug can be handed over to my project manager who can deal with the bigger human bugs that dont want to fix it. Phew! I feel better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment